How do I print?
- The library has both black & white and color print stations. The main (black and white) print station is located in front of the Reference Desk, behind the computer stations. The color printer is located near Group Study Rooms C and D. Black and white printing costs five cents ($.05) per page and color printing is ten cents ($.10) per page. The printers accept bills, coins, credit/debit cards, Apple Pay, and Samsung Pay. Please be aware that a temporary $5 hold is placed on your account when you use a credit / debit card. Click here for step by step instructions about how to print in the library. Note: As of December, 2021 the College has stopped using and accepting print balance cards. Back to top.
How do I photocopy?
- There are two photocopiers located across from the Circulation Desk: one color and one black and white. Copies cost ten cents ($.10) per page. The copiers accept bills, coins, credit/debit cards, Apple Pay, and Samsung Pay. Please be aware that a temporary $5 hold is placed on your account when you use a credit / debit card. Back to top.
Can I scan chapters from my textbook?
- There are two free scanning stations available for students to scan books and documents. Scanners are located near the small section of public computers in the back of the library. You can scan to a USB drive, email, or Google Drive. You cannot scan to the printer, but you can scan to email and print from a computer. During busy times, please limit scanner use to 15 minutes. Copyright laws only permit the scanning of two chapters of textbooks at a time. Back to top.
How do I reserve a group study room?
- The library has three study rooms that are available for use by students for group study or to work collaboratively; each room can accommodate up to eight students at a time. Study rooms can also be reserved by individual students to attend an online class. Group study rooms can be reserved online here or in person at the Reference Desk. Reservations are available in 30 minute increments for up to two hours; reservations may be renewed if no other groups are waiting. For more information about the Library's group study rooms read the Group Study Room Policy on our Policies page. Back to top.
How do I find a book?
- You can search for a book by title, author, or subject using our library catalog here. Click on the "In the Library" tab to limit your search to books in the CCC Libraries. Once you locate the title you are looking for write down the call number, which will help you locate the book on the shelves. All call numbers are in alphanumerical order (e.g. BD21 .S629 2005). Ask a Reference Librarian if you need help finding something on the shelf.
- Items that are in the “Stacks” and have a status of “Available” may be checked out. If the item has a location of “Harold Washington Reserve Books” it is a course reserve and is located behind the Circulation Desk. Reserve books can only be checked out for use in the library for two (2) hours at a time. Back to top.
What is a course reserve?
- Course reserves are class-related materials such as textbooks that are available for library use only. Course reserves can be checked out at the Circulation Desk for two (2) hours at a time and cannot be taken out of the library. You must show a CURRENT Harold Washington College (or CCC) ID to use course reserve materials. For more information about course reserves, please view our Textbooks and Course Reserves page here. Back to top.
Can I take home a course reserve?
Can I place a hold on a book from another College library?
- Yes! You can place a book on hold from another CCC college library to be sent to you through our library catalog. To place a hold, log in to your account in the library catalog using your CCC username and password, search for the book, and click the Request It button. The library catalog will indicate which campuses hold the book and whether it is available.
- Books can be picked up at any CCC library, not just your "home" campus. You will receive an email notification when your item is available for pick up and ready for check out. Items will be available for pick up at the circulation desk of the library you selected. The CCC libraries aim to be as efficient as possible with holds from other campuses, however this process is not immediate and can take up to several days depending on demand. You can check the status of your holds and cancel holds as necessary by logging into your account. Please note that library-use only books, such as course reserves, cannot be requested to be sent from one campus to another. Back to top.
How do I check out a book?
- Your HWC identification card functions as your library card. You must have a current ID to check out books and to access library-use only materials and resources, including course reserves and group study rooms. Stop by the security desk in the lobby on the 1st floor of the building if you do not have a current ID card.
- Books from the stacks (i.e. the Library's main collection) may be checked out at the Circulation Desk with your HWC identification card. In addition, you may also check out books from any of the other CCC libraries. Back to top.
How long can books be checked out?
- Students: The loan period for students is three weeks, with automatic renewals throughout the term unless a hold has been placed by another patron. Students are allowed to check out a maximum of 25 items at a time.
- Faculty: The loan period for faculty is four weeks, with automatic renewals throughout the term unless a hold has been placed by another patron. There is no limit on the number of items faculty can check out.
- No late or overdue fines are applied to library materials with the exception of fines for reserve (library-use only) items. Late/overdue fines for non-CCC interlibrary loan items are determined by the lending institution. Back to top.
How do I renew a book?
- Books will automatically renew throughout the term unless another patron has placed a hold on the item. The final due date for all materials is always the last Friday of the term. Back to top.
How do I access library resources from home?
- You can access the library catalog and databases from the library home page when you are off campus. Please note that you will need to log in using you CCC username and password for access. Back to top.
Where do I go for help with research?
- Ask a Reference Librarian if you need assistance using the databases, searching for a book, or doing research. We are here to help and you will always find a librarian at the Reference Desk when the library is open. You can also email us or chat with a librarian. Chat is available 7 days a week, even when the library itself may be closed. Back to top.
Where can I go to get help with homework and class assignments?
- The college has tutors and other resources available both virtually and in person. Please visit the Academic Support Services page for more information, or stop by the Tutoring Office on the 4th floor in Room 409. Back to top.
I can't log into any of my CCC accounts. How can I get help?
I can log into all of my CCC accounts but can't log into my library account. How can I get help?
- If you are not able to log into your library account but are able to access other CCC accounts, contact a librarian for assistance.